Friday, May 25, 2012

Hambo Stamps Dr. Needle


My card today is for the Hambo Hoedown, the challenge theme is paper PIERCING, I always confuse that with paper piecing...  as you can see I did both.  Not really to be on the safe side, those crazy stripped pants reminded me of a doctor who we saw recently so I just couldn't resist.

Here's the quick story - 
My husband has prostate cancer so we've been seeing several different doctors since just before the first of the year.  My husband works part time for his sister in her very fashionable local clothing store.  I know if I could have worked there when I was in high school I would have felt like I'd died and gone to heaven.    When we first met his Urologist he was wearing the usual white lab coat, scrubs pants and these wild athletic shoes.  He looked up at my 6 ft. 5 in. tall husband, shook his hand and looked at his feet and told him his shoes weren't very fashionable...  I think we both cracked up laughing, what is "fashionable" in a size 13 shoe? lol 

There are several inspirations for my card today.  I was looking at the "Make It Monday" challenge and saw the most gorgeous card from Mary J. who's blog is Where's My Creativity that made my mind whirl with ideas.  We also have a dear friend who will be having surgery in the near future and I was thinking this might be a fun card to give him to cheer him up during his recovery.  

Along with paper piecing I colored Dr. Needle with Copic markers R20, E000, E00, E11, E40, E41, E43, Y26, E49, C0, C1, W0, W4, B0000, BG10, YG11.  The patterned papers are from the Basic Grey Granola mini paper pad, copic coloring on Copic X Press It.  I added a little Stickles and Glossy Accents to certain areas that I thought should shine.  The shape of my card is made with a Cheery Lynn designs French Flair regular and scalloped dies, the border is a die-namics die and for the banner I used a square Stampin' Up! punch to punch the end into a banner. 

I also decorated the inside.


I think Mary J.'s are nicer but I'll keep working on it.

Hey, I almost forgot I was the Hambo Stamps Channel Surfing blog hop winner!  I won a $20.00 shopping spree at Hambo Stamps, yippee!  You can be sure I placed my order already :)

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Challenges:
Hambo Hoedown - Paper Piercing
Penny's Paper Crafty Challenge - Anything Goes
Inspire Me Fridays - Anything Goes
Card Makin' Mama's - Punches (the "V" in the banner die)

12 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness-- I love this soooo stinkin' much! Fantastic!

AllisonG said...

Great card and funny story about the "fashionable" doctor! Congrats on winning the Hambo hop with your Get Smart card. :-)

paige said...

Fun card! Love the patterned papers and what an awesome image!

Hey Hey Paula said...

What a cute card Jan. Love the paper piecing & piercing! Thanks for playing in the Hoedown this week.

Claire said...

Fab card and love your paper piecing too. Hugs, Claire x

Shannon White said...

Lol, what a Super Get well card! I think we have someone this would be perfect for, lol One of my DH's fellow fire fighter co-workers is out with an injury, and Ive been scratching my head for a good masculine type get well card, lol So thanks for the inspiration and I just might have to go get that image, lol

Hugs
Shannon

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

What a fun card this would cheer anyone up! Thanks for joining us for our Let's Get Punchy Challenge at Card Makin' Mamas hugs Susan x

Judy Rozema said...

Fantastic coloring and those pants are the best!! Congrats on your spy card win!!

Laura W said...

Great card. I love everything about it! That's to funny about the 'fashionable shoes', what an ice breaker :)

Unknown said...

This is adorable Jan. I love your paper piecing and piercing. You are going to have a blast on the team!!!

Jenn

Julies Crafty Creations said...

LOL what a fantastic card, love the image and sentiment! Thanks for joining in with our Anything Goes challenge over at Pennys and good luck Julie x

Helen said...

That's a great card - a wonderful image and sentiment and I love your paper piercing and piecing too!

Thanks for joining us at Pennys.

Helen x