Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Make Your Own Baby/Body Powder


Have you ever wondered what's in your baby powder?  I was at a baby shower recently and read a label on a name brand baby powder the mother to be received, wow...  what is all that stuff?

While browsing on Facebook I came across a recipe for natural baby powder and had to try it, so my tutorial today is a variation of that recipe.  That Facebook page I enjoy spending time at is Aromahead Institute, Andrea has lots of recipes and valuable information about essential oils on her page.


This recipe calls for ground Chamomile Flowers, mine were whole so I used my coffee grinder that's reserved for stuff like this.  They were kind of chunky, I highly recommend buying ground Chamomile Flowers, I got mine at the Bulk Herb Store.  I've made body powder for myself since with the Bulk Herb Store's ground chamomile and it's much nicer =)


After weighing out all the dry ingredients on the kitchen scale I whisked them together.  
It's a little messy!


I chose Lavender for an essential oil because it has a lot of therapeutic properties but most of all is calming.


Here again I tried for a 1% dilution of the essential oil to the 3 ounces of powdered mix equaling 12 drops of Lavender essential oil and stirred it in.


Then I added my homemade baby powder to a stainless steel powdered sugar shaker and made a label.


And my last photo is of three of the baby products I've made and have ready for the next baby shower.

The Baby Powder Recipe:

1 oz. Kaolin Clay
1 oz. powdered Chamomile Flowers
1 oz. Arrowroot Powder
12 drops Lavender Essential Oil

Where do you buy this stuff?


Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Linky Parties:

Clever Chicks

Frugally Sustainable

Gingerly Made

Adorned From Above

igottacreate

2 comments:

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Oh this looks lovely. I've been wanting to make baby powder, actually for myself, I LOVE powder. These ingredients are easy to find. Love that it includes an essential oil, my other LOVE!

Adorned From Above said...

Thanks so much for sharing with last weeks Adorned From Above Blog Hop 54. We look forward to seeing what you have to share with us this week. The party opens at 8:00PM Mountain time.
Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
http://www.adornedfromabove.com